Sunday, January 6, 2013

yikes! On the Kindle Fire

Date: 01/06/2013

Description:

I'm not going to go on a metaphysical examination here, I just have a single question/complaint.

I've started using the note feature on the Kindle Fire more and more.  I don't usually anything profound to say about a particular passage, I usually just want to note something that struck my interest about a particular passage as I was reading it.

One thing that's confusing me is the auto-spell feature.  I understand what it is, and the basics of what it tries to do.  I've also made a conscious decision at this point to not disable, even though I know that it is possible to do so.

Still, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the Kindle Fire auto-corrects the work "yikes!" to "hikes".

I would never, ever, write the "yikes" without accompanying it with an exclamation point.  When I add the exclamation point to "yikes" it changes it "hikes"

What's the point of that?

Repro Steps:
1.  With the auto-spell feature enabled, open up a book on the Kindle Fire
2.  Highlight a passage in the opened text
3.  Select "Note"
4.  Type (in all lowercase) the word "yikes"
5.  Add an exclamation point to the end of "yikes"

Result:  On a Kindle Fire, with the auto-spell feature enabled, when I add an exclamation point to the end of word "yikes", the auto-spell feature automatically changes it to "hikes"

Expected:  I don't expect the term "yikes!" to be automatically auto-corrected to "hikes", even if the auto-spell feature is enabled.  I don't understand the point of this

Note:  I know that I can save "yikes" by holding the word down, but this feature of the Kindle Fire is not intuitive.

I have the quick fixes feature enabled.  I don't personally like changing the default settings on gadgets.

I highlight a passage in a text.  I select "Note".

In all lowercase, I type in "yikes", a shorthand word I always use to make me remember something of interest.  I almost always write the word "yikes" in all lowercase, and I always put an exclamation point after the word.  When I add an exclamation point after "yikes"....
The Kindle Fire auto-corrects it to "hikes!".  Why, as a reader, who I want to shout "hikes!" after reading a passage from a book?




No comments:

Post a Comment